high cpu temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high cpu temps

hey, i just built my new comp and evertying is going great, except that my cpu temps seem to be really high already, without any overclocking. i have an athlon xp3200 cooled by the thermaltake volcano 11 xaser running at max rpm- but my temp is around 45 C idle and often hits (but hasnt yet gone past) 50 when gaming and such. My case is an Antec Lanboy http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=15000 with one 80mm intake fan (low front of case), and one 80mm exhaust (higher up, back of case), plus the psu fan and the radeon 9800's fan. right now, i have the side panel off, which drops the load and idle temps about 5 degrees. room temp is around 75.
    ..so im wondering, why is it running so hot? do i need more case cooling, or is something wrong with my cpu fan/heatsink deal? also, if i do need another case fan, where should i mount it?

there is nothing wrong with those temps, although they could be better ;) ...but if you aren't even breaking 50 C at max then you don't have much to worry about

if you are getting a noticable drop in temps when you take off your side door then you have an issue with case cooling. if you are up for a little case modding, you could add an intake fan in the door and possibly an exhaust fan on top (if there is room)

I've got a similar case here (http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...?ProdID=92600#) and it doesn't have the greatest case cooling....I added a fan in the door and it dropped overall tremps a couple degrees

which thermal goop are you using?
    what are the specs on your current intake/exhaust fans?

Comment

ok thanks, ill try that. it looks like my case is pretty much same as yours xcept for the window...where exactly would i want to mount the intake fan on the side(how high up and towards the rear or front)? my thermal paste is from coolermaster, and my fans are antec 80mm 2600 rpm, 34 cfm.

Comment

Before modding the case (unless you just want to :D ), you might look into trying a good thermal compound for the HSF. Arctic Silver 3 is pretty much an idustry standard right now and will likely drop your temperatures by 3 degrees or more.

But minibubba is 100% in the case cooling area. Removing the side panel and gaining a considerable margin of comfort in your temperatures is a sure indicator for sub-par case cooling.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

awesome thanks ill try that too. also, for modding in the new intake on the side and the exhaust on top, should i still just go with the 80mm 2600 rpm 34 cfm fans.....or would it be better to get 92mm or something?

Comment

I used a 80 mm on the side, but a bigger fan, like a 92 mm, could be even better...and quiter ;)

but with the noise of a a v11 at full tilt I doubt the noise of other fans is even an issue

it's not my main comp, but this is what I did to the case similar to yours:

due to the arragement of the drives, I can' put an exahust fan on top, unless I mount it on the outside. if you'll look closely, you'll notice the hole I cut isn't perfect, I'm going to clean it up when I've got more time :o

if you'll look at the link in my sig, you'll see where I put a similar fan on my main rig

Comment

cool thanks. nice rig btw minibubba. one more question.....i havent done any serious case modding before; whats should i be using to cut through the aluminum? and should i do anything different for cutting through the window?

Comment

for cutting though the metal (I was working with steel here) I used a drill for the pilot hole, a jigsaw for cutting the main hole, a dremel for taking care of the rough spots and some files for getting it smooth

for the window, it depends on what it is made out of, but a dremel with the right bit should do it. you could also try a hole-cutting bit on a drill (looks like a cup with teeth on a drill bit). More than likely the window is acrylic and either of those methods should work just fine.

Comment

thanks man

Comment

no problem :thumb:

Comment

Don't forget to cover the window with masking tape first, then remove it when you are done. Or scratches may occur accidentally.
                      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                      asus a7n8xe-dlx
                      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                      bfg 6800gt
                      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                      samsung dvdrw
                      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                      mushkin 550w