Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a stand against my horrible cooling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a stand against my horrible cooling...

Well, I've mentioned it before in this forum, but just to say again, the cooling in my comp sucks so bad its not even funny. I'm so sick and tired of the noise of my CPU Fan running at the highest speed because its the only exhaust fan, and I've decided to do something about it. Ok, right now here's the set up. It's a Dell case (I know I know, Dell sux, still, I'm trying to do something with it) that's 1 mm plastic covering a 1mm aluminum case that is completely sealed off. For those of you who dont know, Dell cases open on hinges on the front left side (if you look at it from the front), makes em a pain in the ass to work on :scream: . Anywho, like I said, I have one 92mm exhaust fan, and a 60mm on the PSU. The problem it, the 92mm has a duct in front of it that leads directly to the CPU. Why? cause it there's only a POS aluminum passive HS on the CPU. When I say the cooling sucks, I mean it REALLY sucks. To try to compensate, I've cleaned up everything (no dust) and I left the expansion slot below my Ti4200 open so at least some of the air from its fan would go out of the case. Anywho, here's what I've decided to get, all prices USD:

Antec cyclone blower ($13.50) - I will install it right below my graphics card, and therefore have an exhaust for all the hot air.

80mm (or 120mm?) intake fan - No clue which brand. I wanna install it on the left side of the case, so it blows on the CPU, RAM, some on the AGP slot, and a little on the HDD's (that central region). The problem is I'm out of 4 pin connectors, how do I get more (split them?> HELP!)

TT Volcano 7+ ($27) - going from passive cooling to active is going to be difficult, namely, I need another 4-pin connector. As far as controlling speed, I'm just going to install the fan speed setting cable and leave it at medium. That way it will still cool fine and the noise will be less. Also, I'm still gonna have the 92mm exhause fan going, and, if possible, the duct still in place.|

Anyways, how does that sound to you people. I'm a newb at cooling, and this is going to have to make this machine work better (so I can o/c my video card again) and run quieter. Anything is helpful, thx in advance for replies. : peace2: Mista K6

For you intake fan i would take a 120mm, pumps more air than 80 or 92 mm for less noise. You will have to make a hole if you dont have somewhere to put you 120mm.

For your CPU cpu cooler, volcano 7 will do, but you can have something better.... vantec aeroflow or coolermaster aero 7.

For the cables, you cans find "y" wires at radio shack or at many shops across the net.

Comment

yah, I'm going to have to drill a hole through the case (plastic, aluminum, and all) to get that fan in, the 120mm sounds even better for cooling. THe whole deal is right now I have to leave the case open as to get it so it's bearable, I really shouldnt have to do that. I'll also pick up a y-connector when I pick up the fans and HS. Thx for teh reply, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Volcano has a 3pin connector, so no worries there. :thumb:

Comment

I think I dont even have a three pin connector... lol.

Comment

This link would be my first choice for your 120mm fan and at 2000rpm, it's quieter and much cheaper than other higher speed 80 and 92mm fans like the vantech tornado series. At 78cfm, it's a perfect choice, and comes with 3 to 4 pin adapter.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w