No announcement yet.

Which chip runs coolest on the market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chip runs coolest on the market?

I'm in need of a really "cool" yet decent chip so I can build me a new super quiet computer to be used for home theather purposes. According to this graph originally posted by Wiggo the XP1700 T-bred should be the coolest one.

But how bout the P4 celeron family? I think they are running with 1.5 Volt to with good enough performance for it's use. If anyone know how big wattage of heat they produce pls let me know.

A passive cpu cooling would be the best but I guess that can't be done with any decent chip nowadays.. I've got to check that though, maybe Zalman has a passive solution to offer. /Thx

Btw a low end integrated graphic chip will be used so case heat should not be a problem.

I forgot the graph.. : omg:

Comment

Well here's another CPU electrical spec's page that uses the figures obtained from the manufacturers (P4 Celerons are towards the bottom of the page).

Comment

Thx m8 that page is awesome! Looks like an 1700+ should be best. To bad it's so damn hard to find any T-breds slower than the 2000+ which is running mutch more warm.. :(

However I also have vias C3 1000A MHz (100 MHz) Nehemiah cpu in mind which I could run with a completly passive cooling as they only produce around 10W of heat.. lol

Are those C3 procs just crap or are they woth considering for a machine like this? They should manage to handle dvd/mpg2 playing sweet with that speed.

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
          Thx m8 that page is awesome! Looks like an 1700+ should be best. To bad it's so damn hard to find any T-breds slower than the 2000+ which is running mutch more warm.. :(

However I also have vias C3 1000A MHz (100 MHz) Nehemiah cpu in mind which I could run with a completly passive cooling as they only produce around 10W of heat.. lol

Are those C3 procs just crap or are they woth considering for a machine like this? They should manage to handle dvd/mpg2 playing sweet with that speed.
          I've read that the C3 will do just fine for what you're doing, but they're crap for ANYthing else, especially crunching. I went with an 1800+ for the same reason in my HTPC, but I also wanted mine to play games and Fold when it's "idle". With a TT Silent boost, it's pretty darn close to completely silent, though that's a subjective thing. I'm going with thermostatically controlled fan speeds so that the only time the fans will be audible is when it's being used hard and the sound of gaming/movies/MP3s will drown it out. Manual control is better, but I'm trying to make it so even the kids can hop on and use it. When she's not looking, I'm planning to steal the 1700+ out of my g/f's PC and swap it for the 1800+ and see how that does. OCed with the Silent Boost it's running 35C under load. I'll drop the OC once I do the swap and set it up in the living room.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordbiker
            I'm planning to steal the 1700+ out of my g/f's PC and swap it for the 1800+ and see how that does.
            Yeah just be sure not to get caught, then it may come back to hunt ya.. lol

Comment

Naw, I'll just tell her I "upgraded" it...;)
              I got that 1700+ last December when I built my first machine, before everyone knew what steppings made great overclockers....I may get lucky and it's one of the good ones. If not, I'll still have a nice cool-running processor so my fans don't have to work hard :thumb:

Comment

If you want silent just use the stock HSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                  If you want silent just use the stock HSF.
                  Naw, I ran the stock HSF, actually a better one for a 2500+ with the copper core, and it ran much hotter than the Silent Boost, by nearly 10C :eek: Also, it's just as quiet :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                  X