HSF removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSF removal

I have a default heatsink and fan that came with my CPU attached to my mother board.. I can not take out the HSF for some reason... I feel like I'm about to harm the mobo..

I know this is lame but please help me with some guidelines on how to remove heatsinks...

CPU:
    AMD XP 2000+ want to get upto 2600+

Motherboard:
    ECS L7S7A2

Memory:
    512MB PC2700

Heatsink:
    Came with CPU thus I dunno

Cooling:
    80 mm back exhaust
    80 mm front intake
    PU fan

Temparaute@133:
    idle, 41C
    load, 52C
    gen., 45C

BIOS readings:
    CPU Vcore Voltage: 1.632V
    DDR Mem. Voltage: 2.496V
    CPU Freq: 133 MHz.
    DRAM Freq: 133MHz.
    CPU/DRAM: [1:1]

The heatsink will be attached to the socket by means of the lugs on two of the sides. By releasing the clipping mechanism of the heatsink you can remove the unit from the processor.

Retail AMD processors have a heatsink that comes with the chip. They have been known to use a piece of crappy thermal tape at times, so if the heatsink does not lift easily off the processor, this might be the cause. If this is the case, you can simply use gentle pressure in a side to side motion to remove the sink from the processor core.

When you decide to replace the current (or new) heatsink, make sure to use a quality thermal compound. This is essential as it will not only give much better temperatures, it will also give the processor a longer service life.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

and make sure to wipe off ALL of the old thermal grease/tape gunk before putting the HSF or new HSF back on. Rubbing alcohol works the best for this :thumb: . Good luck, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
      X