Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Case?

Hi Forum.

I have two computers in the one room : a Duron 900 and a Sempron 2400, which I have recently built. Both CPUs have the standard HSF and thermal pad combination. Neither has case fans. The Sempron system has an all-in-one mobo, so there are no pci or agp cards inserted.

Yesterday, after running both systems for a period of time, I checked the temperatures of both (through BIOS) after rebooting.

Results as follows : Sempron - CPU 57 degrees C, system 38 C
    Duron - CPU 42 C, system 22C.

I then opened up the Sempron case, and the CPU temp dropped to 46 C, system to 32 C.

Barring the possibility of a dodgy sensor, why would there be such a disparity in system case temperatures?

One thing I have noticed is that the CPU fan in the Duron system runs 2000 rpm quicker than that of the Sempron system. Is that significant?

Regards,
    Gros

Re: Hot Case?

I wouldn't trust the thermal reading. Those are rediclously high for a Sempron system, case fans aside. I guess you could switch the two fans since the Duron system is getting good temps. But to really bring the Sempron temps to better levels (although you shoild be having stability issues at 57C for idle), you could get some Arctic Silver 5 between the CPU and HSF.

Comment

They're not "rediclously" high if the case has no airflow which is a big requirement now days so can you supply us with a picture or link of the case?

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

The case is a HYKA 808. Its a midi sized case. The detachable side panels have no air-holes or perferations whatsoever, so there would be little to no passive air intake.

I will attempt to make an image available asap.

I wonder if the 57C result for the chip seems artificially high given that the case may be a bit of a hottie.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
          They're not "rediclously" high if the case has no airflow which is a big requirement now days so can you supply us with a picture or link of the case?
          Airflow is not a big requirement "now days." Lots of systems using modern hardware are completely stable with no airflow. Many (possibly most) OEM system have no case fans whatsoever. While it is perferable to have at least one fan, it isn't an absolute necessity for most systems.

I would say 57c is a rediculously high for an idle temperature on a Thouroughbred. Even a case with no airflow and the stock cooler shouldn't get that. You almost certainly would be having major stability problems right now. That's an extremely high temperature for load, and it's completely unacceptable for idle.

If there is no where to mount a fan on the case, you'll have to drill holes in order to get any case fans in there. Hell, you could just get a new case, too. Even though I say having airflow isn't a necessity, I wouldn't want a case without any.

Comment

Thus far, I've had no stability problems, although I haven't done much with the system apart from install and play a couple of games.

I don't know if this is an effective indicator of heat issues, but I checked the heat sink on the CPU, and it was only luke-warm.

On the issue of case fans, Iv'e read that the best combination is an intake at the front and exhaust at rear. Will the addition of an intake fan and/or exhaust funnel on the side make much of a difference?

Comment

It would be best to just put a front intake and a back exhaust. A back exhaust fan alone would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                It would be best to just put a front intake and a back exhaust. A back exhaust fan alone would help a lot.
                No worries. Thanks for the info.

If you don't mind me asking, back in my first post in this thread, I noted that my two computers were registering case temperatures of 10C difference to each other, with the Sempron being the hotter of the two. This comparism was taken when the Sempron system case was opened up, so ideally, it should at least have had similar temperatures to the Duron system. What could be the reason for such a difference?

Thanks.

Comment

The reason is that the much faster Sempron 2400 will produce more heat than the older and much slower Duron 900 can (the Sempron produces a maximum 62W of heat as opposed to the Duron's 39.5W).

Comment

Just stuck in a rear exhaust fan, and CPU seems to mainly hover around the 48C temp, occasionaly getting up to 51C. Has been fairly cool today though (Southern Oz).

I'll probably bung in a front intake as well.

Thanks guys!

Comment

=Gros104 On the issue of case fans, Iv'e read that the best combination is an intake at the front and exhaust at rear. Will the addition of an intake fan and/or exhaust funnel on the side make much of a difference?

You said you have an all in one mobo - I doubt there would be any distinct heat spots created by it, unlike a normal mobo. However, should you in future be installing a high end Vid Card (eg Radeon 9800 or above) then you may want to think about a side intake fan to eliminate the dead spot that usually forms around the AGP and PCI slots. This would help keep some components cool, but do little for the CPU.

Like you said, the front to rear air movement model is best.

Comment

Working...
                      X