CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

Last edited by Drake; 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM.

Re: CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

Are you using the stock retail cooling? That could be part of it, but those are pretty high temps, even for a Prescott on stock cooling. Having 8 case fans in a Thermaltake case doesn't make this reading any less suspicious. If you are using the retail cooling, you may want to consider putting Arctic Silver 5 and possibly even a new HSF on the CPU.

Comment

any suggestions on a better cooling fan?

Comment

Are you in the U.S.? The Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu looks pretty good, but you should start with Arctic Silver 5 as you'll need it either way. A good thermal compound can make a huge difference.

Comment

im uk based, what sort of specefications am i looking for with regards to a good HSF?

my current fan is very similar / could be this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=20836

Comment

Copper base is usually best, high airflow and RPM, etc. The interface between the CPU and HSF is just as important, so try Arctic Silver 5 first.

Comment

I have a 3.2 prescott with idle temps of 38C and that is with stock cooling. However I created a duct with a 120mm fan blowing onto it. When I leave the computer doing nothing for a long time the temps go down as far as 36C. Even without the duct I never went above the high 40's when idling. That sounds really serious at 69C idle. Are you sure you have connected the hsf correctly?

Comment

The boxed 775 Prescott cooler should have been attached. It gives about the best cooling for 775, a similar design for your socket should work just as well.
                It has a copper core with aluminum fins which are split for increased surface area and a pretty large, variable fan. An all copper would be better.

And dont worry about hurting your CPU, the heat sync could actually fall off and you'd still be OK. P4s have awesome thermal protection, they just throttle themselves back.
                Also, what good is the best heat sync if you're not getting the CPUs heat to it? Use only the best TC compound you can get, Arctic silver 5 is what I use till they come out with something better.

Silver heat syncs are a little better than copper, but for the extra cost, it's not really worth it except in extreme overclocking situations.
                Last edited by matm347; 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X