Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Quietest Cooling Athlon 64???

Hello,

I am building my first PC, with an Athlon 64 3200+ (939 pin) and an Asus A8V deluxe...But, I need some help finding a perfect cooler for the cpu. Here's the catch: I won't be gaming (it's a pro audio PC), and it must be very quiet. I'd like some advice on good heatsink/fans for my set up that will stay relatively quiet and provide safe levels of cooling.

Thanks
    Last edited by carlosthedwarf; 04-20-2005, 01:51 PM.

Re: Best Quietest Cooling Athlon 64???

Zalman has a large line of CPU coolers that will keep it kool and they run very quiet(usualy). Though they are a little more expencive than some other HSF combo's available, they are also fairly heavy.
    You could look at the below link and go to the bottom+a bit of the next page are all the Zalman coolers I am talking about.

I dont know of anything quieter off hand so I'll leave that much to the others.

Comment

Try to have 12cm intake and exhaust fans. Then check with Zalman as suggested above, they make a model that uses no fan at all on the CPU heatsink. You just mount it so it faces your exhaust fan to extract the heat. If you are brave enough you can try a liquid cooling kit. I installed the Aquagate in my wifes machine and it is very quiet and keeps her cpu plenty cool.

Comment

would that monstrosity suffice? i've had my eye on this thing for a while, but i don't know if my motherboard has the room for it.

edit: good review at http://www.thetechlounge.com/review....ke_103_fanless
        Last edited by deap_blue; 05-19-2005, 09:20 PM.

Comment

That is something you will have to work out. Go to manufacturer web page and try to get dimensions of the cooler. Also, as per the review, make sure you can mount the cooler in the proper orientation. After all is said and done, it's your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by carlosthedwarf
            Hello,

I am building my first PC, with an Athlon 64 3200+ (939 pin) and an Asus A8V deluxe...But, I need some help finding a perfect cooler for the cpu. Here's the catch: I won't be gaming (it's a pro audio PC), and it must be very quiet. I'd like some advice on good heatsink/fans for my set up that will stay relatively quiet and provide safe levels of cooling.

Thanks
            I will say the Aquagate Liquid cooling system is great, and it would spot on for you!!!!!

I have found out that over a couple of days, that being very hot the weather, when playing games, I have to turn the fan right up, to cool the water, but even doing that the alarm goes off to tell me to shut down.

The cooler is very very quiet under a small amount of load.

Tomorrow I have the new Zalman Reserator1-Plus Fanless Water cooling system.

That should sort my rig out I hope.

Comment

Get the Thermalright XP-90 and a good fan. I use the Thermaltake 78CFM adjustable fan. It is almost silent when turned down, and can be cranked up to a hurricane when you need it! It will easily outcool the Zalman Reserator. That setup, in my opinion, is no better than stock cooling, just silent.

XP-90 webpage
              Thermaltake 92MM fan

Even with my AMD64 3200+ Venice overclocked to 2.85GHz, it only gets up to 50C on full load! And it usually sits on about 40C idle at that same speed. This setup performs awesome! Plus the fan is only putting out 17DBa at low speed! ANd at this setting, it keeps the CPU at 35C at stock speeds and about 45C at full load at stock speeds.
              Last edited by casecutter; 07-30-2005, 05:32 PM.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I'm using Zalman CNPS7700 series coolers on both of my systems - they are quiet & do a good job cooling.

If you do go with Zalman - I've noticed that the fins get clogged with dust much faster than other coolers I've used - so they need to be cleaned out on a regular basis - keep an eye on this - a little dust severly reduces the cooling performance.

Comment

The AC Freezer64 worked very well, and very quietly on my 3500 Winnie.

If you can get one with a good fan ( very high failure rate out-of-the-box) you'll be very happy.

If you decide on the Zalman, I would recommend the 7000 over the 7700.
                  I found the larger fan to be noticably louder ( or whinier or something) and the performance difference between the two was very small.

Comment

Working...
                  X