Wiring Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Job

I'm not really sure this thread belongs here but here it goes. A friend of mine built his comp a few months ago, and he sorta just slapped everything together on the inside, wires were everywhere. He was having some heat problems and airflow problems, so he took it in to the local Best Buy to have it porfessionally wired. It looked a bit nicer, but it still wasn't worth the $80 they charged him in my opinion. His temps and airflow are better. Anyways, my parts order is in at Newegg, and in a few days I'll have all of my precious parts. My friend wants to help me build it, but I want to make sure the wires are done right, the first time. Is there a guide to basic PC wiring that I can use? I want to make it as clean as possible, because I'm not shelling out $80 for Bestbuy's half-@$$ed job, and I dont want to have heat issues. Plus, i have a window on my case, and I dont want it to look like junk.

Thanks, Ravn

Re: Wiring Job

Originally posted by Malikai_Ravnsyn
    A friend of mine built his comp a few months ago, and he sorta just slapped everything together on the inside, wires were everywhere. He was having some heat problems and airflow problems, so he took it in to the local Best Buy to have it porfessionally wired. It looked a bit nicer, but it still wasn't worth the $80 they charged him in my opinion.
    After hearing that, I would be sceptical about letting him touch your new machine.
    Heat problems generally are caused by poor thermal interface material(tim) or not enough airflow(fans). Things like which heatsink(hsf) are used and how properly it is mounted or ambient temperature can also cause heat problems. Sometimes an improperly mounted hsf can cause cpu burnout.
    arctic silver instructions
    Last edited by maximus7001; 04-23-2005, 01:49 PM.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

A look on this page will show a thread about cable folding and wiring is also listed on the next page. Try this: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=18649Hope that helps. I'm going to give it a try when some new components come in (side window and uv fans and lights).

Comment

I was in a similiar situation as your friend, except I didn't shell out 80 bucks to ****in bestrape to take care of it.

Simply follow my three step program to success.

1) Lay computer on side and analyze the situation: Which wires do you need, where can you route them to hide them, where will zip ties help?
        2) Take action, reroute those wires and hide the rest somewhere close to your powersupply where they cannot be seen (not covering any fans tho)
        3) Plug your computer back in, take pics, and post improvement.

Good luck.
        Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

i like to use thinner solid core copper wire (22 guage i think) instead of cable ties because it's easier to take off, and it's reusable. this is essentially the same thing as a twisty tie from the grocery store (those work too)... with both you just have to make sure that the bare parts of the wire don't touch other open electrical connections (not hard)

Comment

Working...
          X