Excessive Temp for a Non-OC'ed Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Temp for a Non-OC'ed Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

I just purchased an ABIT AN7 M/B with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+. The memory are three Kingston HyperX KHX3200A/512 modules.

When I put a system together I check to make sure that it is stable before I even attempt to OC it.

I was running MemTest86+ and noticed that the CPU was getting really hot. The heatsink is a massive Swiftech MX462 with Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste. The case is an aluminum Lian-Li.

When I touch the copper heatsink it is really hot. Also, at idle the BIOS reports the temp at about 52-55C. I imagine that it is much higher when MemTest86+ is running. This seems really high. The ambient temp is 72F/22C.

I have an ASUS A7N8X with an Athlon XP 2600+ OC'ed to 3200+ with a heatsink that doesn't even compare to the Swiftech and at idle it is at 30C and 50C full load.

Has any had or heard of issues with this M/B?

Also, the advertised memory timings for the Kingston memory is 2-3-2-6 and it only seems to be stable at 2.5-3-3-8. I usually go with Corsair, what gives with this Kingston memory?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Fej

Re: Excessive Temp for a Non-OC'ed Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

Either the case has poor airflow, you did a poor job of applying the Arctic Silver 3, the case has bad airflow, or the reading is innacurate.

Try raising the voltage on the memory to get it to run at the proper timings.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose that particular hardware? The motherboard and RAM are certainly questionable, though not bad, but the fact that you're using an Athlon XP3200 is unusual. A superior Athlon 64 system can be had for the same price and won't be on a dead architecture.

Comment

Re: Excessive Temp for a Non-OC'ed Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

The Swiftech sink with the Athlon XP processor should be a very workable combination. Since you say you just purchased the motherboard, go into BIOS and check the voltage settings to the processor. Too high equals excess heat. Also make sure that the fan is blowing down onto the heatsink and not pulling away from it.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Working...
      X