Need Help Any1 Plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Any1 Plz

Hi all you tweak town members out there! Hope us are all good.

I need some help overclocking my computer.

It's a:

P4 3.0ghz
    asus P4S8X motherboard
    512 ddr 333 memory
    and a Ati radeon 9700, but i think it may be a 9700pro i'm not sure ( its red if that helps )

it's supposed to be a 9700 but when i downloaded the catalyst drivers, it comes up as a 9700 pro in the control panel, display.

Anyway, i'm a newbie ( i changed the jumpers on a 300mhz to make it a 333 a few years ago ) so will some1 plz give me some1 advice.

Also, i read a review on my motherboard and it said that asus where bringing a bios update out that increases the performance by quite a bit, but i don't know how to update it.

HELP!

Martin Riches, Newcastle, UK

and flash your updated bios.............but, any changes you made regarding the jumpers..........well, i don't know if flashing the bios now wouldn't screw you up if for some reason you created a compatibility issue

Comment

I've been to the Asus website and the latest driver they've got for my bios was made in 2002, however they've got a beta driver made this yr. How do you flash your bios?

Also, do you know anything about the ati radeon cards? what colour is the pro board?

Comment

Well from the looks of your board and memory you won't be doing much overclocking...thats an SiS chipset which means it has no AGP/PCI lock.

Comment

Correct me if Im wrong but I do believe the AGP/PCI frequency is locked on that mobo

Comment

Thanks for the replies, i've just flashed my bios to a newer version!

I was wondering about the setup of my bios, in that i don't know how to set it up for optimal performance.

Also, can any1 answer my question on the graphics card? is the 9700 pro a red circuit board or green, or how can i tell what it is?

Thx

Comment

A lot of ATI cards show up wrong for some reason, but it doesn't mean you have a Pro if its a non pro.

Comment

I have a 9700np that shows up as a 9700 pro as well, but I've reflashed the bios on it so it wouldn't know any better anyway. Don't worry about it.

Comment

What do you mean u've reflashed the bios on your 9700, how do you do that, and what does it do?

thx

Comment

Flashed it with the 9700 pro bios so I could overclock it.

Comment

Nice one! So is it running much faster? as fast as a pro?

Do ou know a lot about motherboards? cos i've got a asus p4s8x-x mobo with a 3.06ghz cpu, and i want to know if i can overclock it a bit. I know you can in the bios. But i don't know what a safe speed would be, cos the only cooling i've done to it, is put one extra fan on the back ( a one of those neon led fans ).
                      What cooling would you suggest, that is quite easy to install?

Thx

Comment

My card is running a hell of a lot faster than a pro. Core is at 448mhz, up from stock of 275. I also vmodded it and replaced the heatsink though so that helped a bit (check my sig for links).

Depends what ram you've got in that board.

Comment

i don't know what sort of ram it's running on, all i know is that it's 512 ddr 333, how do i find out what sort it is?

Comment

That's all you need to know. Your FSB is running at 133mhz right now, and that ram is rated for 166 (333 / 2).

Try increasing the FSB on your board a bit, to about 140 or so. This will also increase your CPU speed. You can keep increasing it bit by bit until it gets unstable or your temps get too high.

Comment

what temp should i keep it below?

Also what cooling for inside my computer would you advise?

appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                              X