Xeon Vs. P4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeon Vs. P4

I was watching techTv the other day and saw that lil remote control car/computer that was runnin a dual 2.8 Ghz Xeon processor setup and started wondering whyhe used the Xeon processor instead of the P4. So why are the Xeons so much expensive, are they better, run cooler, faster, reliable or what? Thanks a lot, this has been puzzling me for a while now. Since now i kind of want a dual processor setup.

They are pretty much the same, just try to find a dual P4 board and you will see the difference.

Comment

The Xeon is basically a P4 made for dual processor use.

Comment

Don't the Xeon line of processors have a good deal more cache in place as well? I know that they are designed for workstation/server applications. We recently updated our servers at work to multi-processor Xeon rigs. These things are SWEET!
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Intel added extra cache to them, but they are still a Northwood. In fact the new P4 XE is almost identical with its 2mb L3 cache...

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
            Don't the Xeon line of processors have a good deal more cache in place as well? I know that they are designed for workstation/server applications. We recently updated our servers at work to multi-processor Xeon rigs. These things are SWEET!
            P4 xeon up to 2.8 ghz have 512 k cache
            3.06+ have 1meg cache
            Xeon MP have 2meg cache

Comment

Yeah the P4 Emergency :p Edition is just a rebagged Xeon 2.8 533 2MB L3 Cahce Chip running at 3.2 w/800FSB. Actaully I've heard that if you put a dual Xeon w/ a Xeon chipset (Like the E705???) against a P4 with a 875 Canter, using a single threaded game will work better on the P4 cuase off the faster memory access and the chipset is a lot better then the Xeon chipset.

But whats funny is that
              a) P4EE is a faster Xeon that is WAY cheaper
              and
              b)It still can't beat the Athlon FX51 :D :D :D
              <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Originally posted by homeworld1031tx
                But whats funny is that
                a) P4EE is a faster Xeon that is WAY cheaper
                and
                b)It still can't beat the Athlon FX51 :D :D :D
                I think you need to go look around some more, actually it can.

What's funny is that
                a) Sadly the Athlon FX didn't kick Intels ass
                and
                b) It's too bloody expensive to be worth it

Comment

man, what a moron, the fx51 is the POS chip, first off it needs registerd memmory, with dont OC ...AT ALL...ok maybe 10mhz..and it needs a 6 layer mobo thats gona be WAY more $$$ too, plus registerd ram is more expensive then regular...id rather put together a dual 2.8 xeon...running the presscott core, and oc it to all hell, with a watercooling solution..that should be good for atleast 6-7Ghz...now they need an 800mhz fsb for the xeon(something tells me thats comming)

Comment

Working...
                  X