Question about RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about RAM

I have bought a pair of 256 Nanya crappy pc3200 ram, but i have come to the conclusion that they suck majorly when it comes to overclocking since the max bandwith is 200mhz.

The absolute max OC is 5 to 10% i can get from my p4p800.

So my question was, what's the best type of RAM when it comes to overclocking.

Money is not a problem for me.

Just a few quality brands of RAM off the top of my head:
    Corsair, Geil, OCZ, Crucial.
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Are you using the AI Overclock Tuner? If you use the manual settings you can change the speed of the RAM to keep it at a minimum while you raise the FSB. Set it to 320.

Comment

Well if u consider in oc, there are some other choices, kingston specially the honorable hyperx series, kingmax,geil dragon series,crucial,geil,ozc,corsair,twinmos,transcent, magicpro,A-data.
        actually there is more, just cant remember them all.
        In fact nanya ram isnt that bad, compare to other oem non-major brand manufacture it works pretty good(well, i mean not to oc) so if u r not those kind of hardcore quality people, just stay with ur ram now. well if not i suggest u go try kingston's hyperx(currently using it) i can easily set it to pc 4000 without those extreame cooling system, good luck.

Comment

lamarodom007 What HyperX do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by lamarodom007
            Well if u consider in oc, there are some other choices, kingston specially the honorable hyperx series, kingmax,geil dragon series,crucial,geil,ozc,corsair,twinmos,transcent, magicpro,A-data.
            actually there is more, just cant remember them all.
            In fact nanya ram isnt that bad, compare to other oem non-major brand manufacture it works pretty good(well, i mean not to oc) so if u r not those kind of hardcore quality people, just stay with ur ram now. well if not i suggest u go try kingston's hyperx(currently using it) i can easily set it to pc 4000 without those extreame cooling system, good luck.

Kingston hyperX PC3500,

Comment

Kingston hyperX PC3500,
              BS. Yours can't do 250mhz.

Comment

:O!!!! even my corsair XMS3500 can't get 250, let alone 230(unless i use very very loose timings and pump the voltage right up)
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Kingston hyperX PC3500,

yeah, u r rite, i just mess up with the numbers, 250=4000. i thought 4200=250, 4000=229mhz, well sorry guyz, i mean to oc to 229mhz

Comment

ahhhh, you are forgiven ;)

PC 2700 = 166MHz
                    PC 3200 = 200MHz
                    PC 3500 = 217MHz
                    PC 3700 = 233MHz
                    PC 4000 = 250MHz
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

The best ram out right now is anything using BH5 chips. There's only two that I know of.

Kingston HyperX PC3200 (KHX3200)
                      Mushkin Level 2 PC3200

Both will run 2-2-2-5 at 220+fsb without a vmod, and with ~3.2v you can easily run those timings at over 240.

Comment

There's a recent round up on memory done here at tweaktown which you might be interested in. This is part 2

Comment

yes, it was quite informative. I'm still wondering about whether OCZ still sends out good products for reviews and **** to customers (many more bad reviews on reseller sites than other RAM brands). I cant believe how well the little kingmax performed. However, with all of them being this close, I think it's really tough to choose RAM. My suggestion would be get some Corsair, or, if you're lucky, get some OCZ. If you want cheaper RAM and want to try your luck with o/cing it, try the kingmax, it seems to be good stuff. Some people have also down well with kingston and Geil, it really depends on your system. as for speed, 3500 chips from most brands dont seem to o/c well. 3200 do, but if you're shooting for 500mhz speeds, well, 3700 would be a better choice. You could, of course, just get some PC4000, 1GB is very expensive (close to $400) where as 1 GB of 3700 is $280 (Corsair 3700XMS platinum). Do some research, read reviews, and see what ya like. Good luck, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                            yes, it was quite informative. I'm still wondering about whether OCZ still sends out good products for reviews and **** to customers (many more bad reviews on reseller sites than other RAM brands).
                            Many places have bought their own retail versions of the memory and it performed the same as the test samples recieved, OCZ is the real deal and have the fastest stuff you can get no questions asked. Their customer support/RMA is also second to none.

Comment

Working...
                            X