Ram and fsb question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram and fsb question.

Hi all. was thinking about getting a p4 2.6c 800mhz fsb.
    I was just wondering what type of ram i should get as far fsb speed. I do plan to OC. sry for such a simple Q, but i couldnt find anything in past forums about this subject. thanks all:)

Corsair and Mushkin.

Comment

Corsair and Kingston.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

What motherboard do ya plan on usin' in that setup? :?:

If ya plan on usin' one based on either the i865 or i875 chipset then get 2 sticks of good fast timed quality PC3200-3500 brand name memory.

Comment

Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, and OCZ all have modules that use the BH5 chips however they are drying up fast as they are out of production.

The trick is, finding which ones carry these chips. Only certain model numbers do.

Comment

Corsair Twinx 512- 3200llpt (2*256 sticks)
            Still available (in the uk anyway)

Comment

ive ordered some of these
              Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3700PT TwinX (2x512MB) Platinum CAS3
              what can you tell me in more detail about BH5 please???
              thats intruiging point!!

Comment

BHP???

Comment

Bah, too late. See, BH5 RAM (I'm taking thats what you meant) is older stuff that is capable of incredibly low timings (2-2-2-5). However, the stuff you got really isnt, as anything 3700 and up has horrible timings (3-4-4-8 usually). Anyways, you can still get adequate performance by cranking up the FSB. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

SO the memory im getting from corsair is still capable of good overclocking speeds. See i thought i was investing in ultra fast mem compared to the 3200 xms im told xms 3200 is just already clocked at 3500 speeds. and the low latency models. but i thought 3700 was capable of faster speeds but just lower more stable latencies or somethin. Hey can you still buy these older BH5 chips??

Comment

The XMS3700 is capable of faster speeds but with a big hit in the latency department.

Comment

from the place i bought my parts from i don't think my order has gone through. trouble is i placed an order on friday and know i placed it at checkout but then when i got to the invoice, i accidentally closed the page. now i dunno whether it might be because some of the parts are not in stock, whether i should have pressed something else at botton of page. but i've always received an order confirmation before now. Ive written to overclockers_support_orders anyway. now if the order didn't go through maybe someone can direct me to a placed which is selling genuinly unlocked XPs and that really fast memory timings so that i could retry my luck and know for certain that i have ordered the best stuff. you lot know what to look for. so now this has happened i don't just trust this situation yet. BIG THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by jamie_horwood
                          now if the order didn't go through maybe someone can direct me to a placed which is selling genuinly unlocked XPs and that really fast memory timings so that i could retry my luck and know for certain that i have ordered the best stuff. you lot know what to look for.
                          Don't ya think that it'll be a good idea to let ppl here know that ya from the UK b4 all the yanks here start bombardin' ya with links that'll do ya no good? (Gee I wish that ppl would put their country in their profile) :?:

Comment

From my experience with overclocking and mamory..... The GEil Ultra Platinum PC3500 Kits kick some major ass for not much money. A 256 stick is about $60 and that can overclock well past the DDR434 mark. And not to mention the sweet looking platinum heat spreader. All Kingston and stuff are good choices but Geil has been the best experience for me with all the memory I have experimented with. BTW.....make sure it has a CL rating of 2.0 to be sure its an Ultra Platinum.

Comment

Ok... i should make full use of the profile i admit. I'll fix that. Anyways I arrived home at 5:30p.m today to find that my parcel had been delivered. YAH too excited. love opening boxes an this is jus the start of it. in plenty of bubble rap - and there she is.. my OEM CPU in ace cardboard box well wrapped with foam. under the bard code on box it says *CP-058-AM. don't know whether this is the code of the place i bought it from or whether its the code of the CPU model and build or somethin. soon as i open the box - delights i see the rectangular chip not square. no model or serial numbers though on the chip this time, they are on a special little molded plastic in black saying AMD Athlon. The next package i take out the box is the 1gig of 3700 xms corsair. which clearly states the mem timings 3448. i had no idea that they were so cool looking. I bring my case down an slide mobo out earthing myself and then disconnecting cables. this time i managed to carefully take off my volcano 7+ -take out 2100+ and insert my barton. I have used some Servisol Isopropyl alcohol solution to clean the copper heatsink and old CPU. Ive spread a very thin layer of Servisol non silicon thermal compound and connected the volcano 7+ without slipping or smudging compound into clips perfectly. I re arranged the cables for best airflow i can achieve with the massive cabled version of the enermax PSU. that done mobo fastened back in case and everything dandy. Now it was time to insert the mem. touching case again. i took mem out and inserted into dimm 2 and dimm 3. i then took my PC back to computer room. I've just straight booted into the bios and set XP cd to boot first. i deleted the partition. then created a fresh raw, then performed a full format. once set up few things and into XP. the first thing i did was put some hot fixes on. these are KB823980 and KB82414. next up. i installed cable modem. this time instead of using the retail drivers that came with mobo i've downloaded the 1.16 from asus. installed fine gart, audio, lan without problems. after installing cable modem. other downloads include 3com lanXp driver and Asus Probe. i haven't yet installed the Ti4600 graphics driver yet, as they don't have the drivers for my card anymore. so i think im left with no option but to download the video drivers from Nvidia. One more thing. i haven't checked mem timings yet but now that i am in windows. System properties displays my CPU
                              as AMD Athlon(tm)XP
                              1.09GHz
                              1.00 GB of RAM

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW TO SET UP CPU AND MEM AND VIDEO.?

Comment

Working...
                              X