Questions on OCing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on OCing...

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but I'm wanting to purchase several sticks of either 1024mb or 512mb ram for my DFI NFII Ultra Infinity board. Right now I have corsair 2700 and I've OC'd it to the max. My CPU is still running in the mid to high 30's celcius and is only seeing core voltage in the 1.6v's. It is an AMD2500xp Barton that is currently running @ 2.32ghz. I believe my ram is the limiting factor in going any further, so I would like opinions and experiences about ram manufacturers.

I can get 2.4ghz but, everyonce in-awhile I'll get a memory address error which is why I believe it's the ram holding me back.
    Last edited by Josey; 07-21-2004, 08:33 AM.

Re: Questions on OCing...

some good brands are OCZ, Mushkin, and Corsair. Out of those brands I have seen in many tests OCZ are preety good overcl****ers. But all 3 of them are. Also look for a cas latency of 2. Also you said "several sticks" of 1024mb ram. 1gb of ram is plenty unless you really have the money. The best choice would 1gb(512x2) dual channel

Comment

Originally posted by KoolDrew
      some good brands are OCZ, Mushkin, and Corsair. Out of those brands I have seen in many tests OCZ are preety good overcl****ers. But all 3 of them are. Also look for a cas latency of 2. Also you said "several sticks" of 1024mb ram. 1gb of ram is plenty unless you really have the money. The best choice would 1gb(512x2) dual channel
      I do a lot of web design, I always seem to have outlook, paintshop, dreamweaver, ftp, several IE's going, several window explorers, plus all the background. I don't mind spending the extra on 2gigs of ram.

Right now I'm running
      CPU CLOCK 200MGHZ
      AGP CLOCK 100MGHZ
      CPU RATIO DEFAULT
      DRAM CLOCK AUTO

Cpu Voltage 1.72
      agp voltage auto
      chip voltage auto
      and Dram voltage Auto
      with a CAS Latency of 3.0 This has my CPU running @ 2.20ghz

I believe the ddr333 ram is killing me because it's already overclocked to 396mghz on the FSB and just wont go any higher.

Comment

some good PC3500 ram should help. And if you really dont mind spending money on the ram get 2gb(1gbx2)

Comment

Don't get 2gb. The timings blow ass. Get some Cas2 PC3500 or PC3200, no higher. Also, you want AGP clock to be at 66mhz, 100mhz is far too high and I'm surprised it works at that.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
            Don't get 2gb. The timings blow ass. Get some Cas2 PC3500 or PC3200, no higher. Also, you want AGP clock to be at 66mhz, 100mhz is far too high and I'm surprised it works at that.
            So would I turn my AGP down, and my CPU up more??

Comment

yup turn the agp speed down. theres no need to increase the agp speed and it will cause problems, especially with it that high

Comment

Overclocking the AGP bus really doesn't do anything. Some cards might fair a little better with it a few MHz higher, but otherwise, you're not doing yourself any favors. Again, you're more likely to do damage than help yourself.

Comment

Raising the AGP bus speed also raises the PCI bus speed accordingly so if you set the AGP at 100MHz then the PCI speed would be 50MHz (its a wonder that you could even get it to boot).

Comment

In that regard it wouldn't. What has likely happened is that if the AGP speed was set to 100MHz, it simply reverted automatically to a safe speed (generally the default) and continue to run normally. I'd personally like to see the video card run at a 100MHz speed bus. The smoke would have to clear for you to replace it with a new non-crispy one.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

lol, yeah, good point Darth.

Comment

Working...
                      X