Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!what programs to use to overclock ram!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!what programs to use to overclock ram!!

Hi. I am a newbie at overclocking ram. First off I dont even know what prgorams overclock memory. I have a asus k8vse dx mobo and amd 3400 and thinking about overclocking this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-033&depa=0 ram. Any suggestions on which programs to use and how to use them? Also suggestions on what type of cooling or any heatsink in specific would be appreciated.. Thanx!

Re: !!what programs to use to overclock ram!!

You don't just overclock RAM... You overclock your processor, and the RAM goes with it. You won't need any sort of cooling for your RAM, but you may want a new heatsink/fan for your CPU along with a thermal compound. I'd recommend this for a thermal compound and this for a heatsink. At the very least get Arctic Silver 5. The heatsink may be unecessary.

As for the overclocking itself, you don't use a program. You use the BIOS. You'll want to go into the BIOS and increase what's labled as FSB, which will make your processor and RAM go faster. You may have to increase voltage to both as you get into higher speeds. Don't expect too much out of that board, though, as its based on the VIA K8T800 chipset and won't have a working PCI lock, which will mean your PCI bus gets overclocked to the point where it causes instability.

You should know the risks and disadvantages to overclocking before you begin:
    You void the warranty on your CPU, and probably your motherboard and RAM as well.
    You risk destroying hardware, particularly the RAM, motherboard, processor, power supply, and any cards attached (AGP video card, PCI sound card, etc.).
    You risk having system instability.
    You decrease hardware life, though usually not by a significant amount.

That said, you can ttry overclocking that machine. Like I said, don't expect much out of it. Watch the PCI bus speed, which will be listed somewhere in the BIOS. Don't let it go very far above the default, or you'll have problems.

Comment

Althought I highly against the idea of overclocking for newbie, I will try to help you. He is right, you dont just overclock your ram, you overclock the cpu with it.

But the immediate things you need to consider is the black screen and the temperature problems.

If you really want to overclock it, I suggest you check your current temp and if the CPU's temp under full load is under 45, then go for it. But of course, there are other things to consider.

You dont have to use program to overclock, you can just overclock in bios. Of course if you really want to use some kind of program, try ClockGen.

For cooling, water cooler is pretty nice.

Comment

you don't use a program to overclock. if you do, you're only asking to get screwed.

What you want is called the BIOS.

Comment

Overclocking Programs are no more risky than using the bios, they have to go through the bios to OC anyway, you still crash if you go to high.

The only diffrence beeing that you dont have to reset bios every time you OC to much, the clock speeds change when you get into windows.

If I want to underclock, I use the Bios, if I want to Overclock I use a program...

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PROGRAM THAT CAME WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD, MAKE SURE THE OVERCLOCKING UTILITY IS SET FOR YOUR EXACT CONFIGURATION

Comment

OC'ing with a program is more likely to cause data corruption as it can knock you off of a live Windows install and screw files up

Comment

I was talking about hardware wise, I should have mentioned that too, its not that hard to copy a few files off your windows cd is it... I dont like using the cemos reset jumper... its realy user preffrence, as to what way you want to go, program or Bios.

Comment

it might not be windows files get damaged though. it could be any data including valuable work or anything. also programs dont normally have voltage adjustments needed to get a high overclock.

Comment

Working...
                X