Throttling A64 3200!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttling A64 3200!!

My normal temp for CPU (Rig in Sig) is 44C, but I thought that was a bit high so I tried finding ways to lower it. I knew about Cool n Quiet for AMD 64 processors and had enabled it in my BIOS but I didnt see any change in temparature. So I went to the AMD website where it showed instructions (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...ion_Guide3.pdf) on how to enable Cool n Quiet in Windows. So I followed the instructions and changed the power settings in Windows. Soon after doing so I checked my temp using SpeedFan and it reported that my temp was dropping, it went from 44C to around 33-36C! I was very happy with the results, for 5 minutes. A couple minutes later I noticed my CPU was throttling (heating up and decreasing clock speed). With WCPUCLK I checked my clock speed and it reported to 1805Mhz, when it should have been 2107Mhz because I had OCed my CPU from 200HTT to 217HTT x 10 multiplier. Noticing this, I rebooted, while my PC was booting I checked my temp in the BIOS and it read 48C and raising. When I checked my HTT it was still at 217. When I got into Windows and right clicked My Computer the clock speed read 869MHZ!! Shocked, I double checked my clock speed with programs like WCPUCLK, CBID, and CPUZ. CBID read 869MHZ with a HTT of 217 and a multiplier of 4. How could my multiplier go down? I thought AMD processors lock their multipliers? I checked my temp again with SpeedFan and it read 58C!! Then I changed all the settings in my PC back to normal including the HTT and the Cool n Quiet, rebooted and my PC went back to normal. I want to know, was this the Cool n Quiet's fault? Or maybe was it my OCing? How do I make Cool n Quiet work properly?

Re: Throttling A64 3200!!

Firstly, the A64 milties are unlocked downwards, meaning you can set a lower mutiplier but not a higher one.

The cool and quiet function is doing exactly what it is designed to do, it underclocks your CPU to lower the heat, what you stated in your above post is compleatly normal...

I am going to use a stock mutiplier and a 250HTT for this example.
    You are running 250x10 for an efective 2.5GHz, Cool 'n' Quiet lowers the multi when it feels it is to hot, say it gets to 50 C It will lower your multi to say 5 so 250x5 1.25GHz
    the temps will be lower at a slower clock rate and that is how Cool 'n' Quite works.
    (I dont knoow that actual temp at which it activates)

Comment

WOW, so thats how it works. This makes me think of a lot of questions.Do you have Quiet N Cool enabled? Do most people do or do not? Does it really help? Is this safe? If you need the processing power will it take the multi up to max(for me its 10)? Also why did my processor's heat go up to 48C in the BIOS and why was it so hot afterwards when I got into Windows?
      Last edited by Fenix_2; 02-14-2005, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Personaly I hate it and shut it off compleatly.(I use Folding@Home so the full CPU power is always needed).

I dont think a lot of people use it, if people do use it it is for reasons such as temperatures and noise most likely. It does help temps a lot I had mine down to 12 C with a 4x multi?(was experimanting)...

There is no reason for it to be unsafe underclocking has no degrading effect on the CPU except slower proformance while underclocked (in other words NO RISK TO HARDWARE) Im not sure if it puts the multi back to max when it needs it or not, because I never use it... But if I had to guess, yes would be my answer because there would be no point otherwise.

You shoud follow my advise from the other thread and get your heatsink reinstalled or replaced and your temps will be far lower than they are now and you wont even have to use the Cool 'n' Quiet function period...
        Probably somewhere in the 25-30 C or lower at idle.

Comment

I see, but what about the fact that CPU heated up afterwards, when rebooted and went into the BIOS it read 48C and raising. Then in Windows SpeedFan said it was 'on fire' at 58C. Why did it raise my temps? My processor never went that high, on max load it went to 49C while OCed at 2.17Ghz. AS for the heatsink, its been less than a month since I bought this PC and I thnik I'll leave it the way it is right now. Dont want open it up for certain reasons.

Comment

Voltage is the main influence on the cpu temperature at idle, assuming you have good cooling. Cool n Quiet lowers both the speed and voltage, or it would be pretty useless.

Comment

Working...
            X