• Show
Clear All

• Need help overclocking p4

My pc:
    Processor: Intel 3.00 Ghz Prescott with HT
    Motherboard: Intel D865PERL
    Ram: 1GB
    VGA: GIGABYTE Radeon 9200 128MB

I have no idea about overclocking, please tell me how to overclock my machine.

Re: Need help overclocking p4

Processor: You'll probably need better cooling than stock to overclock a prescott p4.

Motherboard: Intel clearly states it does not support overclocking, therefore it is reasonable to assume this is reflected with lack of overclocking options in their motherboards.

RAM: What speed? brand? timings?

VGA: Get Powerstrip and start by setting core and memory speeds to 10% above stock, then do a few 3DMark runs to test. Raise by 5mhz more and repeat till you get a crash\glitch. Lower the speeds 5mhz and leave it there.

Comment

Well, I have no idea how to do that. I only need to overclock my processor and vga. Please tell me from the beginning, including the software I will need.

Comment

Well, without a motherboard that supports overclocking, you cant really overclock your processor. As for the VGA, do a google search for "Powerstrip",download and install the program. When you first run it, it will detect your hardware. Right-click the Powerstrip icon that will appear in your taskbar, hold your mouse over "performance profiles", then click on "configure". You will see two sliders on the left of this window, this is how you adjust the core and memory speeds of your card. From here, follow the method i posted above.

Comment

Go to www.ocfaq.com and click on the links for ATI softmod and ATI Tool, which will take you to another site. Download the latest softmodded Catalyst package and ATI Tool. Go to Control Panel and uninstall your current video card drivers. Install the softmodded drivers you downloaded. Install ATI Tool. Beyond that, it should be self-explanatory.

Your processor likely will not be able to be overclocked, and even if you find a way, the gains will be negligible at best. If gaming is what you're trying to improve, then there won't be any gains, because your video card is the limit here, not the CPU.

Comment

I am a web designer, graphic designer and a leisure gamer

Comment

Ok, I overclocked it. I got 3dmark03 score: 322. The problem is, small dots appear on my screen. Why is this?

Comment

You overclocked the card too far and its overheating. Turn the speeds back down.

Comment

Ok, speed down. Well, my 9200 has a cooling fan for the gpu on the vga card. So, can I attach another vga cooler for it?

Comment

dont bother overclocking a 9200. Ive tried it an trust me its not worth the effort. Buy 9600 or better.

Comment

Working...
                    X