Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will i be able to overclock with this upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will i be able to overclock with this upgrade?

Im going to be upgrading my piece of crap dell mobo with a ASUS "P4S800-MX" SiS661FX to add agp support and overclocking ability.
    My cpu is a p4 2.53ghz (133x19) northwood
    512MB pc2700 ddr

will this let me overclock to 2.8 min- 3.0 max??

Re: Will i be able to overclock with this upgrade?

... i think you can get around 2,9 GHz....

Comment

Since you're in the market for a new mainboard anyway, look into something more workable. Wither the Asus P4C800 series or the Abit IC7 series boards are solid performaers and offer a great deal of stability. Bottom line... the SiS chipsets are generally not the best choice regardless of what you're planning on doing with your system.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

the only prob is that the dell case only fits micro-atx boards and i was hopin to keep the upgrade as simple as possible due to that fact that my dad is very tempermental about electronics (took me 3 months to convince him to let me upgrade my vid card).

but if a new case is necessary for wat i want to do i guess i can figure a way.

Comment

Originally posted by de4dnightw4rrior
          ... i think you can get around 2,9 GHz....
          The CPU is capable... but I doubt the motherboard is, since it is a SIS chipset dont expect a lot out of it as far as overclocking goes. I couldent find any reviews on it... probably becase not to many people are interested in SIS stuff, though I have seen one decient overclocking SIS based board(cant remember what chipset it was though).

Comment

More than likely it will be. I don't know about your current revision of Dell machine, but I have heard several others saying that the pinout of the power supply is not industry standard, so you'd also be looking at a PSU in your upgrading plans. The new case would probably be the best alternative; I don't think thst Dell has made any other items purely proprietary, but be prepared for the worst.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Those boards you mentioned dont really fit into my budget so how about a ASUS P4P800S-X. The Asus website says it has alot of overclocking features and it is very affordable.

Comment

Working...
              X