First Time OCer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time OCer

So I have loads of new hardware on the latest and greatest of my rigs. I play WoW and want better performance in game. I was running a Quad Core 2.4 Ghz and upgraded to the E8600 due to multiple posts saying WOW is more CPU dependent then RAM. Which prompted me to buy the E8600 and I get much better performance now. I want more though (greedy I guess). So I was thinking of OCing my board/CPU. I have done a bunch of reading and would like to know where to start or maybe get help on what my settings in BIOS should be.

Current Hardware

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P MoBo
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4 GB DDR2 @ 1066 (PC2 8500)
    COOLER MASTER Hyper Z600 RR-600-LBU1-GP CPU Cooler
    ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PS
    OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State
    EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR GeForce GTX 570
    Last edited by Hellkite26; 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM.

Re: First Time OCer

What speed are you wanting to run? Can you please also link your ram, then I can give you some settings as a starting point

Comment

I would like to get it up to 4 Ghz or above preferably. Of course this will be limited to the temps I hit. Running the heat sink with the optional fan but sadly I had to remove the side fan off the Case I have since it is a large sink/fan. Idle temp is about 24 to 26 degrees. After a few hours of playing WoW I go to about 32 to 35 and HD hits about 42 to 44 degrees.

My Ram is OCZ Reaper (below is the link)

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

It is running default settings atm of 5-5-5-18. Was gonna try and play with stuff last night but kids prevented that from happening sadly. One thing I did notice though last night was when I booted my computer up it said my system memory was running on single channel. It is Dual Channel Ram in the first 2 slots on the board. Is that a BIOS setting issue?
      Last edited by Hellkite26; 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

OKay, SO I saw the thread where you were helping someone else with the same hardware as mine except his RAM was a different manufacturer. I copied his settings and if I disable XMP it changes my core settings back to default. Is that supposed to happen?

Also, where I turn off Intel Speed step?

Comment

the dual channel RAM configurations I've worked with in the past always have pairs of sticks spaced out.. IE - if you have 4 RAM slots but only 2 sticks, you place them in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 (ofc this is assuming both sticks are 100% identical).

Comment

Yes, that is correct.. works well then.. I got a new tower so I have to xfer my hardware.. will do that in the process

Comment

With my kid now a bit older and more free time on my hands. I am finally getting around to once again rebuilding my tower for gaming and would like OC my setup. At one point there was a thread I found that had nearly the same setup but have been unable to find it again. That being the case I was wondering if anyone would be able to link me that one or be able to give me a idea of what settings I should set in BIOS for 4.0Ghz or better on my CPU. Since the tower I now have can accomidate the cooling needed since I am not a fan of liquid coolers.

Comment

@Hellkite26
                If it's a GB board, make a new thread at the GIGABYTE Forum
                Follow steps 1-4 in this post to provide more information about your system, and we will try to assist you.

Comment

Surething.. Will try to get that done in the next day or so.. work everyday of the week so just finding time is key.
                  Last edited by Hellkite26; 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X