Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR Ram timings

Hi,
    I have just got myself a stick of Samsung 512Mb PC3200 DDR ram.
    I have an Asus A7V333 m/b & with my old 256Mb PC2100 major branded ram I could set the ram timings to 2-3-2-5-4bank & command rate 1T.
    With the new ram unless I set the timings to non user defined, it will not boot fully into windows XP!
    Am I doing something wrong, is the ram not compatable with the m/b or is it even faulty???
    Is there any software that will tell me at what speed the ram is running at?. With pc probe, that came with the motherboard, it says speed unknown with both sets or ram!
    Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Basically it's overclocked memory and some motherboards need the memory voltage boosted to 2.6-2.7 volts for this type of memory to work properly. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the info Wiggo, but I don't see any bios setting or jumper to increase the memory voltage. Do you or anybody know if it can be done on this m/b?
      Cheers.
      ;)

Comment

Damn, I can't find any mention of it in the manual either. :(

Maybe Asus has left something out. :?:

Comment

I am now thinking of ditching the Samsung & going for some Crucial ram instead. Is this a good idea & will I be able to run the Crutial ram at max settings?
          :?: :?: :?:

Comment

You're likely to have the same problem there as well as the Corsair XMS3200 that I've used has always had to have the voltage increased plus a few times now I've had to use lower quality memory to boot the board and set the voltage before installin' the Corsair. You just maybe limited to PC2700 as that doesn't require the extra voltage. ;)

Comment

I am not convinced the Samsung is even running at PC2700. When I run WCPUID the system bus for DDR is still showing 266Mhz. When I up the FSB it then reads 287Mhz. Surely this should read 333Mhz without upping the FSB?

Comment

Get a stick of Crucial PC2700 memory as I know that will work with that board. ;)

Comment

Thanks Wiggo I'll do that & hope for the best.

Any idea how I can check for sure what speed the memory is running at?

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

Ok folks, it would seem that I was reading the wrong info!!
                    I have now got a copy of cpu-z & it says my ram timings are 333Mhz & 354MHz when FSB at 144MHz.
                    Thanks for your time & help anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X