Is there a formula? or trial and error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a formula? or trial and error

I am presently running an epox 8kha+ mobo with an xp 2000 cpu. I have just put in 768 mb of ram and before I try to unlock my cpu I would like to know what my maximum stable voltage value increase should be at my unlocked multiplier setting. I have just increased my cpu voltage by .075v and my dimm voltage by .30 v.
    I do not have a benchmark program that I trust yet, ( Any recommendations?), but I have noticed that the comp is acting differently. My bios post no longer displays my processor speed or anything else durring bootup and there are other slight differences.
    I guess my question is: is there a formula that in theory will tell me what Dimm voltage will best compliment my boards maximum voltage increase of .075 volts. Also, since I spent all of my money on my computer and can't afford Benchmark software, is there a way to check stablility and performance withkout Benchmarking?
    I eagerly await.

For normal air coolin' no more than 1.85 volts for the CPU and no more than 2.7 volts for the memory. Once ya overclock outside defined limits then sometimes the speed rating disappears though some mobos will default to givin' the speed in MHz but it is normal. As for a benchmark then 3DMark 2001SE would be just the thing for quick checking of ya progress. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well I am running at vcore 1.825volts and vdim at 2.8volts and my bench mark on 3dmark2001 is 2209. I lowered my vcore by .050 volts and I received the same benchmark. What good is raising or lowering the cpu vcore if performance is not enhanced or lowered accordingly? I suspect that 3dbenchmark2001 is soley based on video card performance and my geforce 2 mx400 is very mediocre and the program does not really bench overall performance. Can anyone help clear up my confusion please?

Comment

I think that you've misunderstood something here and that is that voltage increases are only required when stability starts to fail. Quite frankley gettin' that CPU into the 1800MHz range (XP2200+) isn't hard and usually won't require any voltage increases till you exceed this (sometimes happens just before but not often) given that your hardware is of resonable quality. Also look at ya memory timings as gains can easily be made here as well if just set to SPD. For a more detailed benchmark then Sandra will provide that and this guide may also be of help to ya. ;)

Comment

You can't possibly know how much this tidbit of info has helped. I was totally under the impression that adjusting cpu vcore would directly change cpu frequency(MHZ). So... I must unlock my cpu to change my multipliers? Then, if I must, adjust vcore voltage? Am I now on the right track?

Comment

Now ya got it. :thumb:

Yes for your mobo you will have to unlock it and if it's a "Palamino" core then you'll have reconnect all the L1 bridges (these have their details on the core) but if it's a "Thoroughbred A" (the details are on a sticker and not the core) then the last L3 bridge only needs to be reconnected. If by chance ya get a "Thoroughbred B" though I'm not to sure about it as there seems to be some conflicts here atm but some of the latest mobos can change this anyway without tampering with the CPU. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X