fan options for geforce 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan options for geforce 4

hello all... long time reader, first time poster..

i have a pny geforce 4 ti4200.. i recently bought a thermaltake crystal orb cooling fan that i had planned on putting onto the co-processor of my mobo.... with the design of my motherboard (friggin capacitors in the way) i was unable to install it.

now the rating for the crystal orb is no higher than any geforce 4 MX series, so rather than replace the existing heatsink/fan on the card.. i thought maybe i might add the crystal orb onto that reverse side of the card, is this at all possible? if so, what accessories/modifications might i need.. i've added a picture of the back of my card (for reference).

if this is not possible... anybody interested in buying a crystal orb?? :D

-K

not sure if the picture worked... if not, http://crossbones.serveftp.net/dank/backofcard.jpg

uhhh why put it there, i know your trying to cool the GPU put just install it on the RIGHT side so you dont loose a PCI slot (yes they can be useful)

Comment

well if i install just the crystal orb alone, i'm assuming it wouldnt be powerful enough to keep it cool.... so, like my first post says... rather than remove the one already there, i just want to add this one to the card.. but on the back, (2 physical heatsink/fans on the card) and i dont care about the pci slot... i got all the pci devices i need.. plus an additional free and reguardless, i wouldnt end up losing the slot if i kept the factory sink on the front of the card

-K

Comment

OR!!... how bout this, has anybody ever tried putting a crystal orb on their geforce 4 ti4200 despite the recommendations? if so.. any luck?

-K

Comment

yeah, thats kinda the point of the crystal orb and no one really pays attention to warranty...at least not for a few hours

Comment

not for a few hours?, i dont understand

i read a post about a guy that put a crystal orb onto an ati 8500, and had significant improvement..... but, its like apples and oranges

how hot is the ti4200 supposed to get?, at what temp should i be worried

-K

Comment

i've ran extra fans on the back of Geforce 3 cards with good results. I now run Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb OC'd 325/590 and have
              had no problems with stock fan (PNY Card) as it runs at 45c/114f idle with the system running at CPU/Sys both at 25c idle.

As you're not likely to find anywhere to affix nylon ties, ya would most likely have to void warrany by crazy glueing some nylon washers to the card and the fan to the washers..........but, i doubt you'll get any improvement on the temps.......as i also run a cooler card with 2 X 80mm fans at 72cfm. So, were i you, i wouldn't really bother.:D
              Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

cool... after reading a few other posts online, i decided to go ahead and put the new fan on the card anyway... unfortunately i have no way of testing the temperature (yet), but i plan on installing a few 80, or maybe 2 120s into the side of my case....

-K

Pic of card with new fan

Comment

Working...
                X