Radeon 9800 Pro: troubles with DVD Decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9800 Pro: troubles with DVD Decoder

I just got a 9800 Pro and I can't play DVDs with Hardware acceleration turned on. I have tried it on both Power DVD and in Windows Media Player and when hardware acceleration is turned on, all I get is artifacts and funky bars and colors. I can play DVDs in software mode in Power DVD, but I would much rather play them with my video card doing the work. I have tried the Catalyst 4.7 and the Omega drivers and this problem occurs with both sets of drivers. I upgraded from a GF4 Ti 4400 and I did not have this problem on that card. BTW, I bought the following MSI card...

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RX9800PRO-TD128

So.... anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Re: Radeon 9800 Pro: troubles with DVD Decoder

I'd suggest you read through the Catalyst installation guide at www.tweakguides.com as it's quite possible you just didn't dispose of the old nVidia drivers properly.

Does this happen in anything other than DVDs?

Comment

I have covered all the steps in the driver removal and installation. The only thing I didn't do was format my drive. I really don't want to do that right now as it is too much of a hassle.

I have no other problems with my video card at all. Plays games great and I don't get artifacts at anytime except when trying to play dvds with the video card decoder.

Comment

This setting has never worked as far as I know. Simple fix, make sure the check box is unticked. Considering the number of hours I have used a 9800 Pro with PowerDVD and never having any picture quality issues, it isn't a big thing. Untick the check box and enjoy your movies. Besides, I'd be real surprised if your board even had a hardware decoder chip embedded on the board unless it happens to be an AIW model.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

When i read this thread, i checked my power dvd, and the hardware accel is on. The picture is fine. Either way , on or off, i see no difference.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

With an ATI based Radeon video board? If it is something other than an AIW then it'll be the first I've seen that works with it enabled. I've got a few buddies with similar rigs and they have the same issue.
            My Toys

Comment

OK, thanks guys. I was just wondering if my card was defective or not. I am surprised that it does not have a dvd decoder built onto the board. I thought dvd decoding was pretty much standard these days on cards. My old GF4 Ti 4400 had it and this is a better card. This is surprising to me since video decoding has always been one of ATI's strong points over the years. I guess it must only be the all-in-wonders that have it like u guys mentioned. Oh well... the software decoder seems to work fine, even on my Superbit DVDs which have a higher bitrate. :)

Comment

The hardware decoders were omitted on most boards built on the reference design to help shave manufacturing costs. As a side note, the X800XT boards have included a Rage Theater chip again so things may be changing, but who knows for sure.
                My Toys

Comment

I just installed powerdvd 5 and windvd 6, they both enable hardware accel by default. Yet i have no problems watching movies.
                  CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                  Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                  RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                  GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                  PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                  SC: Audigy 2 zs
                  LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                  Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                  Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
                  X