ASUS EAX800 XL Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS EAX800 XL Questions

My GF bought me a refurbished ASUS EAX 800 XL PCIe card for Christmas. I have some newbie questions.

1. It was a bare card without a driver CD. Should I use the ASUS drivers/utilities, or ATI Catalyst driver/utilities?

2. There was also no VIVO adapter cable included, although the card is supposed to support VIVO. I don't understand what VIVO is and what you can do with it. Basically, I don't know what I'm missing by not getting a VIVO cable. Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Re: ASUS EAX800 XL Questions

1- Use the ATI drivers. Manufacturer drivers tend to be out of date as they don't update their website as often as ATI does. Unless there are some sort of special features that available from the Asus drivers (there aren't), then there is no reason to use them.

2- VIVO stands for "Video In/Video Out" and it means that the video card is capable of sending as well as receiving a video signal. This can be handy if you're wanting to hook up a VHS player to the system so you can rip movies. The cabling is likely just a S-Video cable that can be picked up from any geek store or even at places like BestBuy, Circuit City or Radio Shack (Tandy for some). Just research the card layout at Asus and verify that the cable you're missing is of the S-Video variety. Odds are good that it is. From there, just make sure that you get the full driver pack (including WDM drivers) from the ATI download section of their site.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

1 question darth, is a xl better then a pro ?

Comment

I haven't tested the XL series so I can't give an honest answer to that, but you could check out Tom's Hardware Guide. His site is generally biased as hell, but the results between different series of products are usually pretty accurate.

One of the biggest selling features of the XL series, though, was the available 512MB of graphics memory available on an X800 series video board. Don't know if this is the type that MrEdden received as a gift, but that was it's claim to fame.
        My Toys

Comment

Hehe, thx m8, but yeh i got a asus x800pro/tvd agp and still iffy if i wanna flash it as i am a newb to this bios flashing stuff

Comment

Thanks for the info Darth. I'll install the ATI drivers including WDM for VIVO. My honey got me the 256Mb version.

I actually went and ordered the VIVO cable after I found it on the ATI website. It was listed for $20, but after I added it to my pricewatch list ATI took $5 off. Wondering if they do that for any product you add to the pricewatch list?

Now I just have to figure out what software I can run/hardware I can connect to try out VIVO using this card. Any ideas?

Comment

Media Player will likely make use of it just fine, but if you do a Google search for guides that give you instructions on tranferring your VHS movies to DivX rips, they will likely give you a list of good possibilities... most of them free... that will handle the task.
              My Toys

Comment

http://www.doom9.org/ is the place with the guides on what to do.

Comment

Working...
                X