AGP still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP still

Well I own a ATI AIW 9800pro and it begging for a upgrade.
    Any suggestions on a good AGP video card?

Re: AGP still

What do you need to upgrade a 9800 GPU on AGP for? The higher end AGP cards are not a huge leap, and you would be better off to save up for an overall system upgrade to PCI-E. List you specs and the reasons you want to upgrade and I could offer you some better advice.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

P4 2.8 GHz
      1 GB RAM
      INTEL d875pbz mobo
      2 80GB HDD on RAID 0

Comment

Killer deal for $99 and it would wake your graphics right up. You PC could benefit from a faster card. You could also consider a 6800GS if you can find one cheap enough. Mostly depends on what you want to spend. If you look hard enough, you could probably find an X850 XT for under $150 and that is one of the fastest AGP cards available. The 7800GS AGP isn't really worth the extra money IMO.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate

Comment

I've been running a 9800pro nearly since it's release. I too have been strongly considering upgrading it. But imho casecutter is right, the money will be better spent doing a complete system updrade to PCI-E and 64-bit.
          Personally I'm waiting for the latest batch of dual-core AMDs to come down in price a bit before I take the plunge.

Comment

Dual Core AMD's have dropped about as much as can be expected. And S939 CPU's are discontinued so they definitely won't be dropping any more in price. THe time is right for that budget upgrade.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate

Comment

Agreed. X2 3800s are extremely inexpensive right now. If you're going to do it and can afford it at all, now's the time.

As far AGP... Well, it's dead. Yeah, you could upgrade to an X*** line card or GeForce 6 or even 7, but you can't go much higher than a 9800 Pro with a sub-3GHz P4 before you get CPU limitation anyway. An X800 is at a good price point right now, and it is about the most you can handle. But that said, you reall ought to consider doing a complete build instead. The whole platform is dead, so upgrading the computer to make it go a little faster just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You'll be taking pushing it to its limits with an X800, and when the X800 isn't enough for you, you'll be completely screwed because you'll have no real options left.

Comment

Guess I'm probably in the same boat, eh?

This is my current home-built rig, made it awhile ago (3yrs?):

P4 3.2EE
                IC7-MAX3 mbd
                2GB Corsair XMS
                9800XT

I'm an FPS junkie and in a few gaming clans, and my rig is feeling maxxed out. I want to upgrade but am not in a position to build a new system since my old one cost a bunch and I don't want to do that again.

I've found these @ newegg:
                http://tinyurl.com/qjv4r

I don't care if it's nVidia or ATI, I've used both.

Eventually I'd like to go dual-core and Xfire...but I haven't researched what all I'd need for Mbd, memory, etc etc to figure the costs.

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                Agreed. X2 3800s are extremely inexpensive right now. If you're going to do it and can afford it at all, now's the time.

As far AGP... Well, it's dead. .
                Last edited by SteelCoyote; 08-27-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Well I was thinking on a total system upgrade, I guess I'll save some money using some of the old parts.
                  But what about win xp, will it boot with a new mobo and things?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelCoyote
                    Guess I'm probably in the same boat, eh?

This is my current home-built rig, made it awhile ago (3yrs?):

P4 3.2EE
                    IC7-MAX3 mbd
                    2GB Corsair XMS
                    9800XT

I'm an FPS junkie and in a few gaming clans, and my rig is feeling maxxed out. I want to upgrade but am not in a position to build a new system since my old one cost a bunch and I don't want to do that again.

I've found these @ newegg:
                    http://tinyurl.com/qjv4r

I don't care if it's nVidia or ATI, I've used both.

Eventually I'd like to go dual-core and Xfire...but I haven't researched what all I'd need for Mbd, memory, etc etc to figure the costs.
                    Your old one cost so much because you used a P4 3.2EE. That said, the difference between a 2.8C and a 3.2 EE is enough that you're not quite in the same boat. You could handle an X800 series card. I'd still recommend a whole new system, but it wouldn't be an entirely senseless upgrade for you.

Originally posted by dorima27
                    Well I was thinking on a total system upgrade, I guess I'll save some money using some of the old parts.
                    But what about win xp, will it boot with a new mobo and things?
                    Windows XP will have to be reinstalled.

Comment

They might not even let me use this copy of xp.

Comment

And "they" are?

Comment

Originally posted by dorima27
                          They might not even let me use this copy of xp.
                          you can legally reuse your copy of XP as long as it's no longer installed on your old system, so long as it's not an OEM version

Comment

I have reused OEM copies too. THe only problem is when you use say a DELL OEM version or HP or something and you don't have an original install disk.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                            X