Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visiontek G4 Ti4600 Stock Heatsink removal????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiontek G4 Ti4600 Stock Heatsink removal????

I have 2 Visiontek G4 Ti4600 cards. One had an nVidia reference heatsink that came off without any hassles, I just removed the pins. The other one has a Visiontek heatsink that has some kind of epoxy and does not use any pins. I want to mod this with a Thermaltake P4 VGA copper heatsink like I did with the first one. Is there a somewhat easy way to remove the epoxied one? I have heard one person say to put it in the freezer for a little while and another said he used a hair dryer to heat the epoxy and then used dental floss to remove it. Can anyone give me their opinion or expertise on this?

"I have 2 Visiontek G4 Ti4600 cards. One had an nVidia reference heatsink that came off without any hassles, I just removed the pins. The other one has a Visiontek heatsink that has some kind of epoxy and does not use any pins. I want to mod this with a Thermaltake P4 VGA copper heatsink like I did with the first one. Is there a somewhat easy way to remove the epoxied one? I have heard one person say to put it in the freezer for a little while and another said he used a hair dryer to heat the epoxy and then used dental floss to remove it. Can anyone give me their opinion or expertise on this?"

Hi,
    I think you should have a look at this guide. It's made for overclocking Geforce 4 Ti and MX but it tells you how to remove stock heatsinks with epoxy. I think I should remind you though that ones with epoxy are usually passive heatsinks and are attatched because the cards get don't get really hot without them. The active cooling systems are made easily removable because if they stop working, the card gets overheated and shuts down. Easy removing makes putting a new HSF a lot easier.

Cheers!! :cheers:

Suren.W

Comment

most types of epoxy will get brittle if you put them in the freezer for a while - they will usually snap off fairly easily after that.
      I've removed a couple of H/S's glued on with AS epoxy that way.
      it will void your warranty of course - so proceed at your own risk

Comment

Working...
      X