GeForce FX 8x agp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce FX 8x agp question

I have an abit KX7-333 motherboard... It says that it supports AGP 4x... but I want to get the new GeForce FX video card... which is AGP 8x... when it comes out later this month... Would this cause any problems? Or worse yet... just not work altogether?

should work fine

Comment

So long as both motherboard and video card have at least one common AGP rating (in your case AGP 4X) everything should be fine provided that ya power supply can withstand the extra load that that video card will add to it (also in times past "No-Name/Home/B&W/B&G/etc....", brands (called usually by me as "Yum-cha Brands") were the cause of many a burn't out system but quality "Name" brands are always ya best bet for compatibility plus stability when pushed hard. :devil win
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

common AGP rating? the geforce fx is only 8x as far as i know... or am i mistaken? is it 8x but backward 4x compatible? or am i just totally off and don't understand what you mean by common rating at all?

also, will it just work? or will it be limited to a slower speed and power because my mobo doesn't specifically say it is 8x compatible?

i think the power should be fine... i just built the system brand new a week ago... i've got a 430watt power supply... and not a ton of peripherals... a few, yes... but I still have 5 expansion slots open in the front, and 1 pci slot on my motherboard

Comment

Im pretty sure that card should work fine because they have selections of agp ratings 8x (for this card), 4x, 2x, 1x.

Comment

Ok this is a quote from this ATi FAQ page, http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/faq.html ;)
            Q7:A7:Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (2X/4X/8X).
            <center>:thumb:
            :cheers: :cheers:
            </center>

Comment

Does that mean I'd have to get an AGP 4x GeForce FX? Or that the GeForce FX has all those different things it is compatible with, and that any of them would be OK?

Also, I do plan on using the AGP slot, not my last PCI slot.

Comment

The one chipset supports all those spec's and if the manufacturer follows the guideleness set out then their cards should as well. ;)

As shown there the ATi brand R9700P supports all three at once so ya only need a mobo that supports 2x AGP rates to use one though the best performance will be had with a 8x AGP mobo but the happy medium and not much slower than 8x is 4x AGP which near all mobo's over the last 2yrs have supported. :D

The FX I believe is at least 4x and 8x compliant so ya'd have to have an old or poor quality mobo not to be able to run it but power supplies will become an issue this a lot of ppl. There's a thread called NV30 here that contains as much info as can be found (those links that havn't been forced to pull their content anyway). :(
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hi,
                  AGP is completely backwards compatable. It won't matter if you have an AGPX8 card on a AGPX2 or a X4 mobo. The only concern is the power and the fact you won't be able to use the power gained by having AGPX8.

Comment

I'd rephrase that if I was you. ;)
                    [b]So long as both motherboard and video card have at least one common AGP rating...
                    I've just about had it atm with people who just won't fully read anything that is posted here lately and have to have it spelled out for them to understand (are we really attrackin' <s>retards idiots</s>morons here this last few months or something? :shoot3:

[/rant]

I'm greatly ashamed of myself now for insultin' "<s>retards idiots</s> morons" as I was only usin' it as an "explosive" plus most ppl that I personally know that could fit into this category arn't as dense as some here have been of late.

I think that I'll leave now and go and take my medication now. :)

<small>nursey I'm ready now

all fixed now nursey :lips:

is that better now nursey?
                    </small>

Comment

Lithium?:)

Comment

Working...
                      X