maybe a stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe a stupid question

I'm going to put a ti4200 or maybe a 4400 in to replace a MX420 (I know a bad purchase). Do I still have to remove the nvidia drivers or is that what the universal drivers are for. I'm just curious because I'm going to format and go back to dual boot and if I have to uninstall drivers I'll just wait to do everything at once.

If youve got the new drivers they'll work for all nvidia cards:devil:

Comment

That's kinda what I thought. Thanks for answering.

Comment

you need to unistall the previous drivers before you install the new card...but the driver installer is the same, so you can use the same drivers after you put your new card in

Comment

Okay. I guess I will wait until the card gets here and format and redo everything with the dual boot.

Comment

Well I setup the dual boot again, but the funny thing is after I did this my 3d mark 2001SE scores went way up. Originally I was getting about 1900 and I could do no better no matter what. With my new install I got about 6900 (ME) and about 5800 (XP pro). I thought this was strange the drivers are the same my original 1900 score came from a system that had a fresh install of XP pro with sp1 as well just with out ME. I think with this setup I will wait a few more months and see if the TI 4600 drop when the new lines come out instead of getting a 4200.

EPOX 8k5a2
            XP1700+ unlocked and ocd to 2000+
            512 DDR 3200 Kingston
            GF4 MX420
            Memorex 52x24x52
            Creative 52x
            80 gig WD

Comment

you should be getting better scores than that....i get over 10k with my rig (link below) and some of my parts are not as good as yours

but maybe the MX420 is just that bad.

Comment

You get over 10k with a 420? I'm guessing no. Yes the 420 was a bad buy compared to now, but in my defense I have had it for about 1.5 to 2 years if I remember correctly and at that time the variety was not as much as it is now. All I was saying is that for a 420 getting a 6900 score was pretty good, I thought so. I am planning to buy a new card and was about to order a Leadtek TI 4200, but from what I have been reading with the new cards coming out there may be some big price drops. So if I wait a little while I maybe about to pick up a 4600 for a good price.

Comment

i get over 10k with a VisionTek Ti4200, big difference from the MX420 =)

good luck in your venture

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X